My name is Marie Z. Johansen, and I am honored to have been selected to be a member of the new design team for Niji-Yasutomo.
I am a textile and mixed-media artist who calls a rural island ,far from the mainland, home. My work is somewhat influenced by the beauty of the natural world.
Extreme Close Up showing the fine detail of several layers of Pale Gold Sumi-e Waterolor
- heavy cardstock or watercolor paper or card
- Yasutomo Pale Gold Sumi-e Watercolor. Product # WC 216-58
- Niji SPLASH ink
- Yasutomo Authentic Chinese Watercolors
- (optional) stencil of your choice for background. I used a stencil from Stencil Girl
- (optional) crow shaped cut out
- quote of your choice
- For this painting I used pale, mottled mixtures of Splash inks and Yasutomo Chinese Watercolors for the background.
- Paint the background in pale, mottled watercolors, adding a few brighter spots for interest. Choose colors that you like or that suit the theme .
- When the paper is thoroughly dry glaze the card stock with Pale Gold Sumi-e watercolor, adding more to some areas than others.
- Draw a simple design of larger and smaller, tall and thin and small and squat, rectangles, painting them in pale colors with just a few brighter spots for impact.
- Next, draw large oval shape on the page where you would like to insert a quote. Choose a quote that has meaning to you or that suits your theme.
- A small, simple stencil (from Stencil Girl designs) can be used to “bridge” all of the shapes and make your design more cohesive or “pulled together”.
- Last, but by no means least you can add a cut out for added impact.
I chose to use a cut out of one of my favorite birds; a crow. The crow, aside from being such an intelligent bird,also seems to be synonymous with Halloween and Samhain celebrations , and with the season of Fall in general.